WeChat at a Glance
Launched in 2011, WeChat is a messaging app developed by Tencent. By the end of Q1 2020, the app had gathered over 1.2 billion monthly active users.
It is the fifth most-used social network in the world. The 4 other social media sites are Facebook, YouTube, WhatsApp, and Facebook Messenger.
Why should you use WeChat?
Social sites like Facebook, WhatsApp, Twitter, and Instagram are not available in China. WeChat is the most used messaging app in China, so if you need to stay connected to Chinese nationals then you need to have a WeChat account. Here are some reasons why you need to use the Chinese messaging app:
- Business with Chinese Nationals/Companies
- Stay connected with Chinese relatives/friends
- Work/Study/Travel in China
- Learn Chinese/Understand Chinese culture and more
WeChat is more than just a messaging and social media app. Aside from the chat and call features, you can also read news and use local services in Official Accounts and Mini Programs, play mobile games with your friends, enjoy mobile payment features with WeChat Pay, and many more.
- MORE WAYS TO CHAT: Message friends using text, photo, voice, video, location sharing, and more. Create group chats with up to 500 members.
- VOICE & VIDEO CALL: High-quality voice and video calls anywhere in the world. Create group video calls with up to 9 people.
- LANGUAGE SUPPORT: Localised in 20 different languages and can translate friends’ messages and Moments posts.
- MOMENTS: Share your favourite moments by posting photos, videos, and more to your Moments stream.
- OFFICIAL ACCOUNTS: A lot of verified accounts to follow with original contents and news for your reading pleasure.
- MINI PROGRAMS: Countless third-party services all within the WeChat app that don’t require additional installation, saving you precious phone storage and time.
- WECHAT PAY: Enjoy the convenience of the world-leading mobile payment features with WeChat Pay and Wallet (*only available in certain regions).
- REAL-TIME LOCATION: Not good at explaining directions? Share your real-time location with the press of a button.
- TIME CAPSULE (NEW!): Share glimpses of your day. Record short videos to post in your Time Capsule before they disappear in 24 hours.
- STICKER GALLERY: Browse thousands of animated stickers to help express yourself in chats, including stickers with your favourite cartoon and movie characters.
- GAMES: Have fun and compete with your friends in a huge selection of WeChat Mini Games and Tencent Games (*only available in certain regions).
- BETTER PRIVACY: Giving you the highest level of control over your privacy, WeChat is the only messaging app to be certified by TRUSTe.
- AND MANY MORE: Exercise with friends on WeRun, scan QR codes, and many more.
How do I sign up for a WeChat Personal Account?
WeChat Personal Account Register: After downloading and installing WeChat on your mobile phone, you can sign up for WeChat in the following ways:
1. Sign up with your mobile number
Open the WeChat app and tap Sign Up > Sign up with mobile > choose your region code, enter your mobile, and set a password.
2. Sign up via Facebook
Open the WeChat app and tap Sign Up > Sign up via Facebook, and then WeChat will redirect to Facebook to request permission to log in to WeChat. Then, choose your region code, enter your mobile, and set a password.
- You cannot sign up for WeChat without a mobile number.
- A mobile phone number can only be used for creating one WeChat account.
- Use your real mobile number and ask a WeChat user to help you with verification (aka.
What is Assistant Registration？
Assistant registration is when the system automatically configures an account based on the sign-up environment (device and IP address). At present, WeChat’s Assistant Registration function requires another WeChat account to provide assistance. Follow the instructions shown on the screen then ask a friend near you to use their WeChat ID to help you complete the sign-up verification.
The WeChat user must meet the following criteria to help with Assistant Registration:
- Users signing up in Mainland China: Please find a mainland China user to help with sign-up. This friend should have bound a bank card to their WeChat Wallet and have signed up more than 6 months ago.
- Users signing up in the Philippines, Cambodia, Malaysia, India, Indonesia, Vietnam, Russia, Canada, or the United States: Please find a friend who signed up in your country or Mainland China to help with sign-up. If a user from your country assists with sign-up, this friend must have signed up more than 1 month ago. If the friend is a mainland China user, this friend must have bound a bank card to their WeChat Wallet, and have signed-up more than 6 months ago.
- Users signing up in other countries: Find a WeChat user from any country to assist with sign-up. If a user from outside Mainland China assists with sign-up, this friend must have signed up more than 1 month ago. If the friend is a mainland China user, this friend must have bound a bank card to their WeChat Wallet, and have signed-up more than 6 months ago.
Explore WeChat digital marketing opportunities in Asia
When you already have established your WeChat Personal Account Register and plans to do more for your brand. The next step is considering to create a WeChat Official Account (OA) of your brands.
WeChat does not only help brands to enter the China market but also reach WeChat users outside China (There are industry and country restrictions, please contact us for more information)
More WeChat Official Account (OA) Guides:
- WeChat Official Account (OA) Verification: First Step To WeChat Advertising
- WeChat Official Account Features: What’s In It For Your Brand?
- Do You Have These 7 Common WeChat Marketing Misconceptions?
- WeChat Advertising 101: 3 Things You Should Know
- Official Account Setup & Verification
- Content & Page Management
- Mini Program Setup
- WeChat Pay Setup
Are you ready to expand your business and win the Chinese-speaking market? WeChat is the platform you’re looking for. Contact us to get started.
About Asia Travel Club
Asia Travel Club (ATC) is a social media agency focusing on China digital marketing, influencer and social messaging marketing.
ATC China – Official Sales Partner of Tencent (WeChat), Weibo and Bytedance (TikTok, DouYin & TouTiao). Our China marketing team has verified and managed more than 100+ WeChat and Weibo Official accounts since 2016. We have developed Wechat Mini Programs with advanced features to users and placing localised advertising ads in WeChat’s Moments section for our clients.
ATC Social – sits within Facebook Messenger, WeChat, LINE and Kakao in 7 languages. It connects our partners with over 3,000 influencers across China, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam.
ATC Bookings – Direct booking from Chinese consumers with ATC WeChat Booking Engine, allowing customers to seamlessly check on pricing, book and pay for hotel rooms all within their WeChat. The ATC Rewards is a rewards and loyalty program that allows our users to redeem or purchase vouchers via our social platform
Asia Travel Club is a member of Digital 38 Group.
#WeChatMarketing #WeChatAdvertising #WeChatOfficialAccount #WeChatOfficailAccountRegister #WeChatAdAccount #WeChatPersonalAccount #WeChatVerification #WeChatAssistantRegistration #WeChatAgency #WeChatSingapore #WeChatThailand #WeChatMalaysia #WeChatVietnam #ATC